Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Gengis Khan and Mongolia

I'm just finishing reading "Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World."  So I spent some time looking at Mongolia with Google Maps and Wikipedia.  It is quite interesting. 

The country apparently has 40% of its population living in Ulaan Bataar.  And if you look at pictures of the city you can see what is in the background: nothing.  It is absolutely amazing how there are mountains but 0 trees, 0 bushes, and 0 anything. 

If you look up the 2nd and 3rd and 4th biggest cities you'll see pictures of, say, the post office.

It is really amazing how different life is between here in America and the other side of the world.  I think that I'll need to go see Mongolia, some day, because of how interesting it is.  And one of my personal heroes, Roy Chapman Andrews, found it to be a fascinating place.

No comments:

Post a Comment