Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Teachers' Unions

I spent a good chunk of my day reading about all sorts of stuff and just finished writing a post on how badly liberals misuse words.  That all got a bit tiring, and as it was the end of the day I thought that I would read some of a book I found in the back of my closet. I don't remember ever seeing the book before but a line on the second page struck me quite distinctly.

The Book is: "Don't Know Much About Geography" by Kenneth C. Davis.  It was copyrighted in 1992.

Here's the paragraph that struck me on page 14 (2nd page of intro):

"Through the years, that nightmarish geography lesson has stayed with me.  I suppose it's a grim example of how grossly inadequate teacher's can sometimes be. (Before the teacher's union comes after me with a noose, I'll add that I have had a great many wonderful teachers..."

We hear now about union thugs, and it was apparently not unreasonable in 1992 to say that those same unions might, "come after me with a noose".

Unions are great aren't they?

No comments:

Post a Comment