Monday, September 2, 2013

A Healthier(-ish) Food Challenge

Most of the food we eat is highly processed, and full of artificial ingredients.  Thanks largely to the government's sugar tariffs many companies have realized that corn syrup, or high fructose corn syrup, is a much less expensive sweetener than real (and better for you) sugar.  (So called, "Mexican" Coke and Pepsi supposedly taste better than American made soda because Mexico does not have high sugar tariffs, and soda made in Mexico is made with the less expensive, and better, real sugar.)

High fructose corn syrup is in a huge number of products, and while its not awful itself (though its not good) the things it is in are not the sorts of things that you should be eating.

My challenge for you is to avoid eating anything with: "corn syrup," "fructose," high fructose corn syrup," and any other variation of it for a whole week.

This is a small step towards eating healthier, and only requires you to read the "ingredients" list on every package that you buy and avoid the corn syrup.

We shouldn't be eating any packaged stuff at all, but this is just a small challenge to get started.

I actually tried this challenge starting last Monday, but had a 15 hour work day on Tuesday and drank an energy drink.  I suppose coffee, which I don't drink, might have been better.  So, I'm trying it again.  Hopefully, I'll continue indefinitely. 

Join me, and let me know how you've done.

No comments:

Post a Comment