Friday, January 31, 2014

Free Man's Movie List

Free Northerner has The Free Man's Reading List and its a good list.  (I'd drop Seven Habits of Highly Effective People becasue is way too well liked by exactly the wrong sort of people.  And Add Robert Ruark's The Old Man and The Boy, because it is exactly the book to understand how a man should be.)

In any case, the question that inspired the list:
What should a person, if he wishes to think of himself as a free man of the republic, absolutely must read?
Movies are not as important as books.  You learn more from books.  Books are more interactive.  Books have more knowledge and wisdom.  [Most] books are not as abridged.  And so on.

But movies can be important, inspiring, and other positive words to be inserted here.

Also, I like them. 

And the inspiration for this list is becasue I have a coworker who has never seen the The African Queen, and perhaps not even any movie starring Humphrey Bogart.  What's up with that?

So here follows a list of movies that, while they don't give you any where near the same sort of physiological knowledge as the book does, nor do they provide any comparable sort of understanding of economics, nor do they provide...

But in order to have experienced the full extent of the classics of our culture a list of only books is incomplete.

(I have not linked to any of these becasue I don't know where or how you may view them.)

The movies a modern man should watch (chronological order):

The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938) - The Movies starring Erroll Flynn were never great, but they are entertaining, and who is more alpha?

Stagecoach (1939) - Americans movies are known for westerns.  Watch the first big one, the first to really star John Wayne, and one directed by one of the most prolific western directors of all: John Ford.

The Wizard of Oz (1939)

Gone with the Wind (1939)

Western Union (1941) - I knew I needed something starring Randolph Scott, so I went with my favorite one. 



Casablanca (1942) - If you're only going to watch one romantic movie, it may as well be the best one.

Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948) - Its not money that corrupts, it merely shows us what we already are.

The African Queen (1951)

High Noon (1952) - My vote for the best ever movie.

Sabrina (1954) - If you're going to watch two romantic movies.

Seven Samurai (1954)

The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957)

Ben-Hur (1959)

Good Day for a Hanging (1959) - Even though I don't care for most movies starring Fred MacMurry, Good Day for a Hanging is very underrated and comparable to High Noon.

A Fistful of Dollars (1964)

For a Few Dollars More (1965)

The Good, The Bad, the Ugly (1966)

Once Upon A Time in the West (1968)

The Wild Bunch (1969) - If you're only going to watch one violent movie, may as well make it the longtime most violent.

Patton (1970)

The Godfather (1972) - Overrated.

The Chinese Connection (1972) - Bruce Lee had to be here somewhere, even if his movies weren't great.

The Sting (1973)

The Godfather Part II (1974) - Also overrated.

Blazing Saddles (1974)

Jaws (1975)

Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975)

Rocky (1976)

Airplane (1980)

Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)

First Blood (1982)

The Princess Bride (1987) 

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)

Schindler's List (1993) - I assume so; I haven't seen it.

Fight Club (1999) - I assume so; I haven't seen it.

The Matrix (1999) -  I assume so; I haven't seen it.

Fulltime Killer (2001)

Cowboy Bebop (2001)

Rocky Balboa (2005)

Election (2005)

Triad Election (2006)

The Good, The Bad, the Weird (2008) - Because I said so.

---

I recognize that this post is not living up to its title.

Hit me with my horrendous oversights.  And don't give me any of that Star Wars/ Trek nonsense either.







1 comment:

  1. No Hitchcock movies?

    No Carey Grant movies?

    I'd also put Charade in there.

    ReplyDelete